23 December 2004

OS part X

Crusing along...

The next step is creating a disklabel:

You will now create an OpenBSD disklabel inside the OpenBSD MBR
partition. The disklabel defines how OpenBSD splits up the MBR partition
into OpenBSD partitions in which filesystems and swap space are created.

Easy stuff. The OpenBSD FAQ walks you through it. I used the recommended sizes for / (root, (swap), /tmp, and /var. I changed both /usr and /home from 2 gigs and 4 gigs to 1 gig each. Why? The partition I made was only slightly over 3 gigs. So far, it has worked out fine.

Next comes configuring your mount points and formatting your filesystems. Again, the FAQ walks you right through it and it's very simple.

The next step creates a filesystem on each partition, ERASING existing data.
Are you really sure that you're ready to proceed? [no] y

Would you hesistate to say yes? Ha!

Next you set the system hostname. The FAQ used "puffy". I had no idea what I was supposed to use, so I used "shrek".

Next is the network configuration. When it asked for the IP address, I used DHCP which is supposed to work for most platforms. The standard defaults walk you though the rest of the setup pretty easily!

Set the password for the root account and get ready to install!
Post a Comment