27 April 2006

Fort Jackson, Day 4

Day Four of NIACT was dedicated totally to M16 group and zero and then qualification (see yesterday's post for an explanation of the grouping and zeroing process). Yesterday we practiced grouping and zeroing on the electronic range, and today we did it on the range (in the rain no less). In terms of the overall group, I finished fairly expeditiously. My groups were all fairly close, started low, and worked their way up to the target in five three-round magazines after the Drill Sergeant raised the front sights.

After zeroing we moved to the qualification range which is a series of 16 "alleys" with popup targets ranging from 50 meters to 300 meters. The process starts with 20 rounds of familiarization; 10 rounds in the prone unsupported position and then 10 rounds in the kneeling position. After the familiarization, the actual qual is 20 rounds in the prone supported position, 10 rounds in the prone unsupported position and then 10 rounds in the kneeling position (a total of 40 rounds). 23/40 is required to qual. Since there was a considerable wait at the range, I didn't get to attempt to qual until late and only got once chance (all the groups before us had two qualification attempts). I didn't qual yet, I still have a ways to go. So back to the range tomorrow morning to try again. After that, it will be on to the M9 qualification.

After zeroing with very tight groupings, I was really looking forward to the qual range. Even after the 20 fam rounds I felt really good, but I guess today was not my day!
Post a Comment