06 June 2006

Settling in

Despite the fact that I won't be here at Victory for more than a couple of weeks, it is nice to settle into a routine of sorts. With a couple of guys out of the office, I finally have a space to call my own (at least for a few days). I finally have NIPR ("non-secure" or regular internet) and SIPR ("secure" or Secret internet) email accounts and relatively decent bandwidth on both systems.

The weather has been pretty standard. Daytime high temperatures reach into the 110s while the lows at night are in the high 80s and low 90s. As long as you stay out of the heat during the main portion of the day, it's not too bad.

Transportation is not too bad. It's a 5-10 minute walk from the tents to the "bus station," and then a 10 minute ride to the Brigade Tactical Operations Center (TOC). The buses leave every 30 minutes, so as long as you time it right, it's relatively painess.

Since I have a semi-permanent address, I'm waiting with anticipation for my first package to arrive, which should be here any day now. The standard answer is always "two weeks," but most packages arriving here in Baghdad have postmarks of about 5-6 days prior (today is day 5).
Post a Comment