18 June 2006

Unmounted patrol

Yesterday I went on my first unmounted patrol (walking vice riding). I guess that is a bit of a misnomer, because we drove to where we were going, then walked around a bit. Anyways, someone had spotted some graffiti outside the wire. Just like there is gang-related graffiti, this was apparently Al-Qaida graffiti. We took some pictures and walked around a bit, trying to find out how recently someone had been there, and then moved on a bit. We went to the various observation posts around the base and checked up on the guys there.

All in all, it was a very benign patrol (being in a relatively safe area), but I got my feet on the ground, and it was a good learning experience. I don't really know the significance of the graffiti as I am not an intel expert, but I guess I'll try to figure that out!
Post a Comment