13 August 2006

Reading

Frequent readers of my blog will know that I love reading, and that I rarely go a day without picking up a book and spending an hour or so finding my way through it. I even went so far as to have Tracy take digital photos of my bookshelves so that I could pick out books for her to send (ok, so maybe that's a bit overboard).

I recently finished a book that Tracy's mom sent me called The Motive by John Lescroart (whose last name is apparently pronounced "less-kwah"). As you will also know from my blog, I am a picky reader, but I liked this one. This was a pretty good book, and now that I know that Lescroart's main characters Abe Glitsky and Dismas Hardy are written into a series of his books, I'll probably look for more of his books.

The one part of the book that I couldn't figure out was a breakfast scene and an argument over "lox". Now breakfast is my absolute favorite meal of the day (even if I don't get to eat it very often here), but I had never heard of lox. According to Wikipedia:
Lox is smoked salmon fillet that has been cured and then often cold-smoked. The cold smoking does not cook the fish, resulting in its characteristic smooth texture, similar to the raw product...It is often served with bagels and cream cheese. Lox is noted for its importance in Ashkenazic Jewish cuisine.
It makes sense now with the character Abe Glitsky being Jewish (if you couldn't already guess by his name!). I guess that is my culinary lesson of the day. I guess if you've had it before it might seem more appealing!
Post a Comment