26 September 2006

Small and creepy

I'm not a big fan of insects, bugs or anything small and creepy. It's not that I am totally afraid of them, but you wouldn't find me doing some of those insect-related stunts on Fear Factor. The most common creatures I come across are tiny lizards, most of them no more than 1-2 inches long. They are all over the place, especially at night. They run away and are generally no problem.

On the other hand, a few nights back I was walking along and came across one of these guys. It was dark, so I didn't get a very close look, but he was dark red in color just like the picture (I'm hoping it wasn't the same type as the picture, because they are among the most venemous!). He was probably three inches long, and once I realized he was walking away from me, I stopped to observe (just for a few seconds). My first thought was that it was pretty cool, and my second and last thought was that I wanted to know where he lived and how I could stay away from that location!

Somewhat more common is the camel spider, although I haven't seen any recently. These spiders can run up to 10 mph, which is about the average running speed for a human! These things just freak me out, although they aren't particularly dangerous to humans.

That's about the extent of what I've seen over the past few months. I'm sure there are other small and creepy things out there, but I don't exactly go looking for them!
Post a Comment