06 November 2006

ELECTION DAY!

Today, November 7th, is Election Day. It is not really a holiday, as most people work and most schools will be open, but it is perhaps one of the most important days of the year because it defines who we are as a people. Do not take for granted that the balance of power from one party to the other (and back again) comes about in our country by a free and open process, not by a preordained succession, military coup, or other violent means.

I always encourage people to vote Republican, but really I just want people to go out and vote, period. One of my biggest pet peeves are people who constantly complain about our government, but never bother to actually get out and vote. As far as I am concerned, your decision to vote convinces me that you care enough about the direction of our country for me to listen to your opinion.

If you aren't sure where to vote, check your local newspaper, the Internet, or your local elections office. We have a system in Centre County where we can type in our personal information and it gives you the location of your polling place (although I do have some privacy concerns about it). Other areas undoubtedly have similar types of systems.

You might see a new voting system, too. Centre County has moved to touch-screen voting (there's even a demo here). I've asked Tracy to check it out for me so I expect to have more on that later today or tomorrow. Of course, having been registered in Pennsylvania since I was 18 and being outside of the state (and country) since 1999, I have probably voted by absentee ballot more times than I've actually been in a voting booth!

In Pennsylvania, the polls are open from 7 am until 8 pm. Again, check your newspaper for poll hours in your state.

Get out and VOTE!
Post a Comment