01 January 2010

The Year in Review: My Top Ten Moments

2009 was a crappy year for a lot of people. Despite this, I was very fortunate and blessed to have a pretty good year. Here are my top ten moments, in no particular order except for #1 (which truly is #1 for me). Some of them are specific to me and my family, while others are general in nature and will relate to others.

1. Our son Michael was born on January 16th! Despite some early scares and a few more days in the hospital than we would have liked, Michael the Moose is doing great. God has truly blessed us. If this list stopped here, I would still be grateful for an amazing year.
2. 2009 was my first full year out of the military, and it was nice going the entire year without any worries of deployments, individual augmentations or any unplanned travel. So this moment is actually being able to spend the entire year with my amazing wife and kids. We took trips to Gettysburg and Fredericksburg. In 2010, hopefully a family vacation!
3. Over the summer, we traveled up to Pennsylvania and got to see my entire family.
4. I traveled to Norway and Poland to speak at HackCon and CONFidence, two internationally recognized security conferences. I got to spend some quality time with some of my amazing friends.
5. Chesley Sullenberger lands US Airways Flight 1549 safely on the Hudson River without any casualties. A true American hero.
6. Phillies return to the World Series. Losing to the Yankees was bittersweet, but lifetime Phillies fans recognize the greatness of this team. Jimmy Rollins' game-winning hit in Game 4 of the NLDS will go down among my all-time favorite sports moments.
7. The Blind Side becomes the sleeper hit of 2009. I cannot say enough about this phenomenal movie which is my favorite of the entire year. I knew a little bit about the story of Michael Oher, but this movie will bring tears to your eyes. Even recommended for guys. ;-)
8. Lots of friends deployed overseas to Iraq, Afghanistan and other places. Here's a moment for them coming home safely to their families.
9. Mark Martin makes a run for the ages. He comes up just short in his bid for the Cup, but this has to be his most satisfying season ever. For a long time Mark Martin fan, it amazing to witness. He is on my short list of those people you'd like to meet if you had the opportunity. One of the classiest guys in all sports.
10. I got promoted! But in all honesty, this one wasn't about me, it is about the great people that I get to work with everyday. I couldn't ask for a better bunch.

I'm pretty sure I missed something important, so they're probably be an edit or two forthcoming. But, please note: no reality TV stories, no celebrity stories. :-)
Post a Comment