11 October 2010

Monday morning shooting follows spate of weekend violence

Even by Baltimore standards, it was a pretty bad weekend: five killed, three injured in seven separate incidents. From the Baltimore Sun:
A spate of weekend shootings and stabbings extended into Monday morning, as homicide detectives responded to a shooting around 9:30 a.m. Monday near the intersection of Park Heights and Shirley Avenues. Police said an adult male was shot.

More information is also coming out on this weekend's violence, in which five men died and three were injured in seven separate shootings. Travis Lane, 29, of the 1500 block of Tunlaw Road, was found dead on the 3500 block of Calvert Street in the Oakenshawe neighborhood Saturday night, in a shooting that police believe may be related to the shooting death of 22-year-old Daryll Hood, who was shot in the head Saturday night on the 4700 block of Shamrock Avenue, one block from his house.

Detectives are also investigating a possible homicide after a man appearing to be in his early fifties was found dead in a vacant house on the 800 block of North Fremont Avenue in the Harlem Park neighborhood Sunday afternoon, said police spokesman Det. Jeremy Silbert. He said there was no preliminary evidence of trauma or foul play on the man's body, but that homicide detectives were called because the man's corpse was found in a vacant house. Police are awaiting the results of an autopsy to determine the cause of death.

Early Sunday morning, police found two men with gunshot wounds in the 1600 block of Warwick Avenue in Coppin Heights. One man, 33-year-old Dennis Waddell, died on the scene, while a 28-ear-old man who was shot in the arm was taken to the hospital.

Police responded late Saturday night to the 3000 block of Presbury Street to find 46-year-old James Ingram shot multiple times. Police said Ingram died at the scene.

Police are also investigating a weekend stabbing. Around 6 p.m. on Sunday, police were called to the 3800 block of Rogers Avenue and found a 35-year-old man suffering from multiple stab wounds. The man said he had been mowing his lawn when a man approached his house in a vehicle, got out, and stabbed the victim in the chest, arm, and back before getting back in the car and fleeing. The man was taken to the hospital, and Silbert said detectives are following leads in that case.

The weekend violence comes after several relatively quiet weekends in the last month. Last weekend there were no shootings, and the weekend of Sept. 10 saw no homicides, a feat not accomplished in the city since April.
Post a Comment