25 April 2015

On Bruce Jenner and Bravery

I suppose I'm in the minority by saying that I don't believe that Bruce Jenner did anything particularly brave. Bruce Jenner has made millions of dollars from reality TV shows and has a strong support structure to back him up. He made his announcement in a scripted television interview. In my opinion, there is very little chance that Bruce Jenner will suffer any real negative consequences from his announcement.

What is brave to me, on the other hand, are the many people who go forward without a strong support structure. Without the backing of millions of dollars in appearance fees. Without the family support structure. For these folks, there is a very real possibility that their lives will become worse before they get better. Yet, they still press forward. That's bravery to me.
Post a Comment