27 March 2010

Lighting a pure hydrocarbon distilled from crude oil is not exactly environmentally friendly


These are Greenpeace activists at the Brandenburg Gate in Berlin, Germany. I wonder if they realize that those nice little candles are hydrocarbons distilled from crude oil, and that they're responsible for more carbon emissions than a 40W light bulb? Stop lighting candles for Earth Hour! You're making the problem worse.

1 comment:

Rick (kingthorin) said...

Ya I live in Canada's capital and had similar thoughts when I heard that people stood outside our main Gov't buildings last night with candles while the lights were off.

"Yay lets celebrate this occasion by burning candles and putting more carbon in the atmosphere".....FAIL environmentalists.

Don't even get me started on how stupid the whole concept of earth hour is. I mean honestly what do we prove. We prove that we "can" live without lights for an hour. Then in the hour(s) following everyone more than makes up for any little bit we saved. The way the Hydro companies, green peace, etc report the results are a complete joke. Here's what I actually wanna see when it comes to earth hour reporting. (Assume earth hour was 8PM Saturday where you live)

* Power usage for 7PM, 8PM, and 9PM for Fri/Sat/Sun the week before.
* Power usage for 7PM, 8PM, and 9PM for the Fri/Sat/Sun when Earth Hour took place.
* Power usage for 7PM, 8PM, and 9PM for Fri/Sat/Sun the week after.

How we have a reasonable set of numbers to compare against.

What do I expect to see from these numbers. Probably that we save about 4% during earth hour but that said savings is more than compensated for in the hour before and after earth hour.