15 August 2005

IPodLinux update

A while back (here, I posted my experiment with running Linux on my IPod. Here is what I wrote:
Here are some problems I encountered:

1. Playback was a different story. I chose a few songs at random: some played ok, others played too fast, some played with significant delays and static, some didn't play at all. Seems like none of my "Purchased" music plays correctly. I either get a "malloc failed" or the song tries to play in mono and all I get is static.

Are playback issues related to the overall quality of the MP3? I have no idea.

2. Also, I haven't had luck using the rewind/fast-forward buttons while a song is playing, i.e., you can't use the fast-forward button to skip ahead or goto the next song.

3. Further, when one song ends, it just returns to the song selection list rather than playing the next song.

4. The power meter showed full in Linux despite the fact that the battery was nearly dead. Rebooting to Apple showed correctly, an almost dead battery.

I didn't go too much further, but I was hoping I could perhaps find solutions to these issues. Alas, I did not. So I updated the Apple firmware which restored the original configuration.
Post a Comment