17 November 2006

On leave! (almost...)

The last few days have been very busy. Every once in a while you get one of those ideas and suddenly all the right people say, "Yes, let's do it!" That happened on Monday. I figured we'd have a few days to plan things. On Tuesday I found out I'd have exactly one day to "plan" as we were going full speed starting Wednesday. So, it's a little crazy right now.

On a completely different subject, I'll be traveling today (Friday) on my way home for leave (the timing of which has completely clashed with this "great idea"). Unfortunately, based on my location, it will take a number of days to get from Iraq to Kuwait and then back to the states. I'm guestimating it will be five days, and thus hoping to be home sometime Tuesday. I don't even want to imagine what the airlines will be like on Wednesday if I get delayed that long.

The other "plan" was dropping off my laundry at the proper time so that I can pick it up tomorrow before I leave and have the maximum amount of clean clothes available for traveling! The key is being friendly and nice to the laundry folks! When I explained my timing, they offered me a four hour turnaround when I would have been completely happy with 12-18 hours. I even wrote them a nice note because of their great service. I explained to them that on while on deployments I routinely "lost" things in the laundry: socks, t-shirts, even a flight suit. It was rare if you got your laundry back and actually got everything back! On the other hand, over six+ months of dropping off laundry every three days here in Iraq, I haven't lost a single piece of laundry here. Doing someone else's laundry could be a crappy job, but the workers here take pride in being timely, kind, and professional. I could tell they definitely appreciated to hear it from someone!

Since I'm moving several times over the next few days, I won't have much time to update the blog, other than just checking in. So if you don't see any updates for a day or two, don't worry. I'll post when I can and update you on my travels.

Tracy will be 34 weeks pregnant on Saturday so please keep her and Chloe in your prayers!
Post a Comment