28 September 2009

Move your pawns at your own peril

One of the themes of Irving Chernev’s Logical Chess: Move by Move is development, specifically developing pieces, not pawns; and furthermore, only moving those pawns which facilitate development of your pieces. Unnecessary pawn moves also permanently weaken your overall structure, particularly those that protect your King. As an amateur, I understand these principles but sometimes struggle to apply them well. Even more difficult for me is taking advantage of my opponent when they fail to do apply these principles. The following game was particularly instructive to me because my opponent made what I believed to be unnecessary pawn moves and I was able to immediately attack the weaknesses that resulted from this position.


Post a Comment