21 August 2010

About me

Last updated: May 20 2016

Since January 2016, I have been a law clerk for DLA Piper in Washington, DC.

From 2008-2011 and 2013-2015, I worked for Booz Allen Hamilton  as a Senior Penetration Tester and as a Network Analyst.

In May 2016, I graduated Magna Cum Laude and Order of the Coif from the University of Maryland Francis King Carey School of Law (legal resume).

I previously started and owned a small business, Leverage Consulting & Associates, and through this I worked as a Penetration Tester. My clients included a major international newspaper, the Department of Defense, various other government agencies, private sector businesses, and a number of small businesses in the Washington, DC metro area.


At my core, I am a hacker at heart. We enjoy breaking things and taking them apart to figure out how they work, how they might do something different, or to discover new ways to use things. We break things not just to break them or for our personal gain, we break them so that they can be made better and more secure.   I was a founding member of Unallocated Space, a central Maryland hackerspace; although I am no longer active there.

Military

I spent nearly 9 years in the United States Navy as an EA-6B Prowler Electronic Countermeasures Officer. During that time, I flew combat missions over Afghanistan and Iraq and participated in Operations Southern Watch, Enduring Freedom, and Iraqi Freedom. I also spent 9 months on the ground in Iraq supporting the Army as an Electronic Warfare Officer supporting the C-IED effort. My awards include the Air Medal (individual action award with Combat V; and strike/flight award), Navy and Marine Corps Commendation Medal (with Combat V), Army Commendation Medal, Navy Achievement Medal, Navy Unit Citation, Navy "E", National Defense Service Medal, Armed Forces Expeditionary Medal, Iraq Campaign Medal, Global War on Terrorism Expeditionary Medal, Global War on Terrorism Service Medal, Sea Service Deployment Ribbon, and the Navy Rifleman and Pistol ribbons. I am also a lifetime member of the Veterans of Foreign Wars (VFW).

Politics

The best description of my politics is that I am a right libertarian. As a young political idealist, I frequently threw ideological bombs with the best of them, but as I have become older I find myself more frequently seeking to promote civility in political discourse (which is increasingly more difficult to find). What's missing, I think, is a basic level of respect for someone else's opinions even if you disagree with them. To use one recent example, Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid (D-NV) said: "I don't know how anyone of Hispanic heritage could be a Republican." This is just pure ignorance, considering that anywhere from 25-30% of Hispanics consider themselves Republican, and upwards of 40% often vote as such. This ignorance exists on both sides of the aisle. You also see it on forums and message boards where people use words like "re-thug" or "demo-rat". In my opinion, you cannot use these words and expect to be taken seriously in any real discussion.

Sports

I am a Philadelphia and Penn State sports fanatic. While I am a fan of all of the major sports teams, I am far more fanatical about the Phillies and Eagles, and less so about the Flyers and Sixers. I held Penn State football season tickets for five years (just gave them up this year, unfortunately). I played football in high school and have been a football coach at the high school level for several years. In addition, I follow some professional cycling, primarily during the Tour de France in July but less so during the rest of the year. I also watch golf (and play very irregularly, and poorly) and most any Olympic sports interest me now and then (even, and especially, curling).

Philomath

I consider myself a practicing philomath, which means that I am a lover of learning, a seeker of knowledge and facts. Learning something new on a regular basis is perhaps deeper to the core of who I am than anything else.

I often spend time searching for things that fascinate me. This is usually a result of reading something on Wikipedia, and then following links to something else, and eventually I end up going off on a tangent and learning about something completely unrelated to what I was originally looking for. Is there a name for this? Wikistumbling. There, I made one. :-)

When I'm reading a book or watching a TV show, I often spend time researching about the locations in the stories. A while back I started watching The Wire (which is a fantastic TV show, by the way), so of course I was fascinated by everything I could find that's related to the show; culture, crime, the neighborhoods, photographs of locations, etc. I tend to invest a lot of time in something until I feel like I have a better understanding of it. Then, I often move on to something else.

Dad and Husband

Last but certainly not least, I am the father of four children and husband to the most wonderful woman in the world. Years ago, before I was married, I often wondered how in the world people could go about their jobs and have a family too. Now I wonder how I could do without it. There is nothing better than coming home from a long day at work to kids yelling "Daddy's home!" and getting a kiss from my wife.
Post a Comment