27 May 2011

The new job

Almost four years ago, my time in the Navy was quickly coming to a close and I was anxious to find a job.  I gave my first-ever talk at DEFCON about my counter-IED work in Iraq, and in the small crowd of people asking questions, a man flashed his Navy ID card, handed me his contact information, and told me that we needed to talk.

I have to admit at the time I was slightly frightened that somehow my talk had attracted the wrong sort of attention (I was still on active duty at the time, and my talk, while unclassified, was nonetheless pretty aggressive). Ultimately, my apprehension was misplaced; he was in the Navy Reserves but more importantly, he worked for Booz Allen and he was offering me an interview.  I went through a couple of interviews (my first one didn't go so well, but they saw potential and invited me back for a second), and by December I was thrilled to get (and accept) a job with Booz Allen.

Over the past three plus years I have worked with an amazing team of analysts that would be difficult to top. Through the highs and lows, this team has done amazing work and I am proud to have been a small part of it.  Over the course of barely two years, our six member team grew by leaps and bounds (we're about to pass 40 by next month), and it has been a remarkable run. That being said, it was time for a change.

Today, I am happy to announce that I've accepted a new challenge. Effective June 20, I will be working as a Security Engineer and Penetration Tester with TDI Security, a computer security consulting firm based in Washington, DC. I'm working not as an employee of TDI, but as a independent contractor.  Going out on my own and being self-employed is a step I've been looking to make for some time now. While my business (Leverage Consulting & Associates) has been around for over a year now, this move effectively marks the beginning of full-scale operations.

For a while now, I have been looking for the right opportunity to move into more direct full-scope penetration testing work, and I believe that this is that opportunity. Additionally, I already know some of the people I will be working with and I am extremely excited for this new direction.

I've very much enjoyed my time at Booz Allen, and I hope to be able stay in touch with those of you who I've met during that time. I am especially looking forward to meeting new folks through this new role.

See you in Vegas!
Post a Comment