17 March 2012

How do you even respond to something like this?


(this wasn't directed toward me, but...)

In the comments on a local news article, an African American woman wrote that "Bigots need a test to see if they're eligible to vote!!"

I'm not even sure how to respond to that stunning display of historic ignorance...

The best I could manage: "We had that before. They prevented people of color from registering..."

And to top it off, she also wrote (to someone else), "you are wrong and you shouldn't voice your opinion!!"

In the subtitle to my blog, I write that I am a "promoter of civility in political discourse..." and I really mean it. This is the sort of view that will get us nowhere. She's certainly entitled to it, of course; but the vitriol in today's society stems from this sort of attitude.
Post a Comment