21 September 2012

Oh joy, a Craigslist scammer

Within one hour of posting my Jeep for sale on Craigslist, I got the following email (my comments are in parentheses):

From: "mah90250@sbcglobal.net"
Is it still for sell?.
(Nice grammar)

Me: yes

From: "Rebecca Rebarich"  (note different email address than the original email)
Thank for your mail. Am satisfied with your advert price (who says "advert price"?), as am requesting this transaction should be done via PayPal so the Pay Pal charges is on me. If my offer is accepted, Get back to me with your PayPal email and your name or send me PayPal invoice so i can pay you right away as soon as i conclude with my shipper. I am always busy at work and do not have much time around me to make or answer calls. Make sure you get back to me so that we can arrange for pick up as i will like the item to be picked at your residence location. Confirm the sales to me by removing it from the CL post.

My reply: cash only.

Her reply: Try and see reason with me, i don't have access to a post office over here (where is "here"?), i can't send you a check (I didn't ask for a check). I wish i have access to western union money transfer it would have been a very good option (but it's only a very good option for scammers) but am still on the base right now (the base? a military base?) the only access i have is by effecting the payment via my online paypal account. However, paypal is the world leading payment master that protects both buyer/seller interest (nice ad for paypal). You are on a secured transaction with paypal. Above all, it's like instant cash (oh instant cash! I've always wanted that!). Please i need you to visit their web site at www.paypal.com and sign up for your free personal paypal account, they will activate your email address to your paypal account and link it with your bank account so you can transfer and receive money online via you paypal account. Please go and activate yours it will actually cost you no money to do this. Do try and see reasons with me. I will await you update. Thanks.

Me: Please stop wasting my time with your scam.

Not that it will matter, but I flagged the initial reply as a scam.

Post a Comment