19 November 2012

Things are not always what they appear, Mr. Boortz

Radio talk show host Neal Boortz, who I am familiar with (but don't listen to) recently tweeted these comments:
Did Neal talk to this kid, engage him in conversation? Or he is simply making judgment based upon his appearance? I suspect the later.

Are you ready to declare this kid a "loser" because he dresses silly? I'm not. Maybe it's because this kid reminds me of our son Andrew, who sometimes dressed silly, and despite all his faults, was so much more than a single negative word by someone who never actually talked to him.

I don't expect Mr. Boortz to consider my response, but I did reply:
It is very easy for us to dismiss someone simply because of the way they look, or the way they're dressed. It's easy to be shallow, like Mr. Boortz is apparently being here. On the other hand, it takes effort to respect someone for their person, to talk to them about their experiences and beliefs, even if you don't necessarily agree with them. And, you might just be surprised what you find.
Post a Comment