17 June 2014

I received a DMCA takedown notice for a blog post I made three years ago about Gregory Evans

Yesterday I received a DMCA takedown notice for a blog post I made about three years ago about Gregory Evans. The entire blog post was authored by me with the exception of two small screenshots from the MIS Training Institute's homepage which reflected substantive changes to their speaker lineup and the comparison screenshots reflected that change. The rest of the blog post was the copy of an email that I wrote to the MIS Training Institute and links to other blog posts. I can't actually link you to the post at this point because Google placed the post in a draft status. If I were to republish it without changes, it could be considered a violation and count against my account. So you'll just have to take my word about the content of the post. 

This morning I filed a counter-claim disputing the takedown. In the counter-claim, I argued that the use of the very small screenshots was fair use. To be perfectly clear, the takedown notice itself does not yet appear to be available, and Google's email to me does not say who filed it. Although my counter-claim addresses the screenshots from the MIS Training Institute's homepage, I suspect (although I have no evidence at this point) that it was not MISTI but rather Gregory Evans who actually filed the takedown notice. This would be particularly interesting because there is certainly no content on my blog post created by him. My best guess is that I linked to someone else (perhaps a link to Attrition.org) and he doesn't like that very much. But again, that's just a guess.

At this point, I don't have any more information, but I'll certainly keep you updated. If you do have questions, please feel free to ask.
Post a Comment