18 December 2006

On my way home, Day 5

Today's destination is Kuwait, a place I was just two weeks ago. Then it was returning from leave, this time it's on my way home for good.

We flew in this morning from Baghdad on the always-fun C-130. I did not shed a tear to say goodbye to Iraq. I hope and pray for the people of Iraq and the future of their country, but I've done my part and now it's time to go home. The next group of replacement EWOs get to do their turn while I look forward to spending the holidays with my family.

As an end of tour award, I received an Army Commendation Medal from my unit when I left. It's always nice to be appreciated for your hard work and I know all the EWOs were very much appreciated. It's also a unique award for someone in the Navy. There is much talk about an anticipated unit award for JCCS-1, but I haven't heard anything definite yet.

Tomorrow we get to turn in weapons and (almost) all of our gear! Everyone is excited to get rid of most of the stuff. They're letting us keep the sleeping bags until the last day (a nice touch considering we'd have nothing else to sleep in/on). They're also letting us keep the black fleece jacket (for good, apparently). The black fleece is popular and many people have agreed that it was the one turn-in item they'd like to keep. So it looks like that worked out, too.
Post a Comment