19 October 2013

The search for my birth parents: Here's what I know

This is a follow-up to my previous post. My dad sent me a folder about my placement and adoption, so here's what I know based upon that information.

Me: born November 28, 1975, Reading Hospital at 3:28 P.M.
Birth weight: 6 lb. 5 1/2 oz.
Birth length: 53 cm (~21 in.)

When I was born, my placement agreement with my foster parents referred to me as "Michael King." Other documents from this period also refer to me by that name. My adopted parents believe that "King" was a name given to me by the hospital.

When I was adopted (late 1977-early 1978), my adoption agreement with my adopted parents referred to me as "Michael Knapp." Other documents from this period also refer to me by that name. My adopted parents believe that "Knapp" was probably my birth mother's name. I don't have any other information to verify this, though.

Mother: 5'5 1/2", light brown hair, blue green eyes, fair to medium skin, nice complexion, wears glasses (myopia), good general health, head childhood diseases, one year of business school. 20 years old.

Father: 6'2" 185 lbs., brown hair, brown eyes, medium skin, right handed, good general health, at college presently (Lehigh). Sophomore, 19 years old.

I'm not sure if this college information is as of 1975 when I was born, or 1978 when notes were made. I've looked through Lehigh University yearbooks from 1977-1981 in the hopes that I might simply recognize someone that looks like me, but I haven't had any luck so far.

Maternal grandmother: blind due to measles and whooping cough. Died at age 22 of pneumonia.

Since my birth mother was ~20 when I was born in 1975 (and thus born ~1955), I am guessing that my maternal grandmother was born ~1935 (+/-3) and died in 1957 (+/-3).

Maternal grandfather: blind due to a hunting accident. Died at 52 of a heart attack.

Maternal great-grandparents were living and in good health at time of placement (~1975).
Post a Comment