23 December 2004

OS part II

A little research will tell you that to run a second operating system you need to either 1) load the operating system via a boot disk (CD) or 2) partition your hard drive for the second operating system (and then make that the active partition). There are several versions of Linux and UNIX that are distributed on "live cds", that is, they will send you a cd-rom and the entire operating system will load from that cd-rom. In other words, easy. This sounded like the best alternative, and was what Brien advised me to do.

Of course, I didn't want to wait for the cd-rom to arive so I went about it the more difficult way.

I searched around the Internet and stumbled upon OpenBSD:

The OpenBSD project produces a freely available, multi-platform 4.4BSD-based UNIX-like operating system. Our goals place emphasis on correctness, security, standardization, and portability. OpenBSD supports binary emulation of most binaries from SVR4 (Solaris), FreeBSD, Linux, BSDI, SunOS, and HPUX.

If this doesn't mean much do you, don't despair. It didn't mean much to me, either. I didn't even know if I could this on my Dell. So I read on further...

OpenBSD 3.6 runs on the following platforms:

* alpha - FTP only
* amd64 - CD bootable
* cats - FTP only
* hp300 - FTP only
* hppa - FTP only
* i386 - CD bootable
* mac68k - FTP only
* macppc - CD bootable
* mvme68k - FTP only
* mvme88k - FTP only
* sparc - CD bootable
* sparc64 - CD bootable
* vax

Of course the link to i386 will show you that OpenBSD can be run on a computer with an Intel Celeron processor. I therefore chose OpenBSD as the first operating system to install on my computer!
Post a Comment